“If you don’t like the weather in Indiana, wait five minutes.” – astute observation from one of my roommate’s students.
This is how I felt yesterday when it was nearly 70 degrees and there were tornadoes everywhere after having snow earlier in the week. We didn’t have any actual tornadoes in my town, but there was a lot of wind damage and thousands are still without power. Luckily all I had was a few scary minutes where it seemed like there might be a tornado, and then all was well again! Well, it is still windy – I actually had to get off my bike and push it this morning.
If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!
1. What are you plans for Thanksgiving this year? I’m going to South Carolina with Kris to visit his family. We didn’t get to celebrate the holidays with any family last year (lol working retail) so the last time we went to their house was something like 2011 for Christmas? While we are down there Kris is going to join me in a 5K for the first time! I am really excited – he even went out and bought running tights and a long-sleeved t-shirt in case it is cold!
2. At what point do you begin celebrating the Christmas season? Usually fairly late due to my living situation. I don’t bother putting up decorations out here in Indiana because everyone leaves before Christmas, and Kris doesn’t ever do it himself, so we usually don’t end up decorating until I come home like 2 weeks before Christmas. I think last year Kris and I might have decorated the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving? Also, I do start trying to shop and come up with ideas around the beginning of November.
3. Do you celebrate Christmas, or do you celebrate another holiday? Just Christmas.
4. If you could have one present (you know, a material good, not love or world peace) what would you want? Anything??? How about enough money to pay off all of my student loan debt! Does that count as a thing?
5. Share an idea or two that you can plan to do for someone who may need to feel loved throughout the holiday season. I always like to make a couple of handmade gifts for people. There are a lot of ideas out there for handmade gifts under $5 – jars of baking mix, ornaments, decorated objects (i.e. picture frames). People always like if you bake things for them (cookies, bread, pies, etc), too.
6. Would you rather spend the holiday season on the beach or in the snow? Oh goodness I really hate both. I will say snow because there are a lot of things I like doing at the holiday season that require cold, such as wearing sweaters and drinking hot chocolate.
7. What is your favorite Thanksgiving food? This is going to sound kind of ridiculous but traditional Thanksgiving food is fairly meh to me. I mean, I like turkey and mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie and all but they are not my favorite. I would have to say that my favorite part is that we always buy those fancy cheeseballs and then I eat them with crackers and summer sausage. Wow, that is almost embarrassing!
8. Will you participate in Black Friday shopping? Probably, though I won’t spend a billion dollars or anything. I pretty much have all my gifts for people planned out and none of it is really stuff that goes on super sale anyway. I might just get a couple things that seem like good deals. I definitely won’t go out at like 5 AM and there is basically no way I will go out on Thanksgiving (for the sake of the workers).
9. Will you travel for the holidays or stay at home? If you’re traveling, are you flying or driving or making alternate plans? I’m traveling. For Thanksgiving, I am flying to PA to drive down with Kris and then I will fly back to Indiana after we drive back up, so I will be running all around. I’m actually excited, though – I love road trips with Kris and Belle’s new, safer car harness has arrived so we will all be able to travel safely! For Christmas Kris and I will just need to drive about 3 hours to see my family, which isn’t so bad.
10. List at least 5 things for which you are currently thankful.
- My immediate family is in good health this year.
- All of my friends and family that support me through graduate school (especially my poor husband, who has to deal with weekly existential crises).
- That I have the means and ability to be at graduate school in the first place.
- That even though I have come close (floods, tornadoes, etc) I have never personally been the victim of a natural disaster.
- That a little stray doggie that came to be called Belle wandered up to my parents house 4 years ago 🙂
Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions! Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments, and take a moment to share it on Facebook and twitter too! Why not spread the friend makin’ love?! Happy Monday, friends!